Gambling During Wakes

            In the Philippines it is normal to gamble during wakes. While many of us would probably find this peculiar, let me tell you their rationale.  For the common people in this country, having a deceased member of the family is not easy financially.  Paying for the funeral expenses is difficult enough.  Even more difficult is the fact that they normally hold a wake for at least 3 days – some last for more than a week.  And while they have the wake, people come in droves every single night, to sympathize with the family.  The family then has the responsibility of feeding these people – snack bites, drinks, and even full meals!
 If I am the dead, what will be my reaction? As my spirit roams, I look around to check everyone who attended my wake. I will smile , as some people remember my good deeds or even probable regret for the people I wronged. On one side I will see this people shouting and yelling for the win. I see people rich or even those with blue collar job gambling during my wake. How sad. I feel people enjoy my death.
How about people who kept going from every funeral to the next? I pity them. They become addicted .I gathered the bad effects of gambling from Kerby Anderson of Probe Ministries.
1.       We should be concerned to what such policy send to the next generation. Our children are watching us. They will surely imitate us
2.       Debts from gambling leads to family neglect and organized crimes
3.        Families are torn apart by strife, divorce, and bankruptcy.
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, of the Harvard Medical School Division on Addictions cites that
“‘Gambling is an addictive behavior, make no mistake about it. It has all the properties of a psychoactive substance. It changes the neurochemistry of the brain.’ In other words, the excitement of the possibility of winning a huge sum of money, with minimal investment, has a narcotic-like effect on the brain — that calls for greater and greater risks, in the hope of that ‘big’ win.”
I realize  I need to save some money for my funeral. I want people to sympathize and not
to gamble during the last moment that my body is still on earth undecayed.
We all make mistakes. Let us not waste time once we realize our mistakes. Before its too late. Gambling is truly evil it does not take only our money but the trust of the ones we love



No comments:

Post a Comment